WEEKLY UPDATE, Week of July 24-30, 2017
Thank you, thank you, thank you to the 100+ Sojourners who served at last week’s Vacation Bible School. We had over 200 registered kids, who journeyed together through the Gospel Of Matthew. This included a large number of children from the neighborhood, from families who are not a part of Sojourn. Praise God for the ways he is using our church family.
This past Sunday Pastor Jonah preached on gentleness as a Fruit of the Spirit. Jonah taught that gentleness is the subversive use of power for the good of others — not to crush, but to encourage, bless and heal.
- Listen in our iTunes podcast or in your favorite podcast app (search “Sojourn New Albany”).
- Watch it in the Fruit Of The Spirit Sermon Series channel on your Sojourn Community Church library tab in Rightnow Media. There, you’ll also be able to read Jonah’s sermon manuscript, see a couple discussion questions, and read the liturgy. (get your free account, and watch this short tutorial video!
I am preaching this coming Sunday. I’ll close out our Fruit of the Spirit series, with a sermon on “self-control.” Check out the preview:
This Week’s Giving Report
This should be old news to Christians, but more and more scientific studies now confirm that generosity and forgiveness lead to happiness (the same article shows that “experiencing awe and wonder” leads to happiness). Good thing we have a wonderful, awesome, generous, forgiving God who makes us like him!
Here are this week’s giving numbers for all Sojourn churches in the metro area:
- Midtown: $31,310
- East: $22,003
- J-Town: $11,176
- New Albany: $11,285 (weekly target $14,800)
- New Albany 6-week rolling average: $14,451
Events & Opportunities
- New to Christ? Been a believer for awhile, but haven’t been baptized? If you want to be baptized, you can fill out this little form!
- Women’s Book Study, Mondays Aug 7-Oct 2, 6:30-8pm. Join us as we learn together how vulnerability leads to courage. Each attendee is responsible for getting your own copy of Daring Greatly: How The Courage To Be Vulnerable Transforms The Way We Live, Love, Parent & Lead by Brene Brown (list price $9.21 on Amazon). REGISTER HERE.
- Membership Class, 11am-12:15pm Sunday August 13, 20, 27. Join us over the course of three Sundays as we explore what it means to “plant roots” as a member of our church family. We’ll meet during the 11am service in the Classroom (across the hall from the auditorium). If you need childcare, you can check your children (newborn through 5th grade) into our SojournKids classes. Your middle/high school students can take part in SMS, our Sunday Morning Students class. REGISTER HERE!
- School Of Missions, register by Aug 20. Interested in international missions? Consider the Sojourn School of Missions beginning Sept.16! Info/registration here.
- Check out the brand new order/info page for the Fresh Stop Market at our location! From there you can order a food share for any particular week (or every week) of the season, at prices from $6.25 to $41, depending on your income. Kristen and I have already signed up to receive our shares every other week.
- We are looking for Sojourners gifted in the area of technology, to be a part of some projects. Specifically, we are looking for Sojourners experienced in programming, software development, or web development. If this service opportunity interests you, please email Pastor Luke Barker at email@example.com.