Weekly Update, Nov 21-27
Happy Thanksgiving week! The pastors are thankful for each and every one of you.
And we had much to be thankful for this past Sunday, beginning with the baptism of Tyler Thomas. Tyler said:
I was 5 years into an addiction to Heroin, and from my perspective, there wasn’t a way out. By this point I had attempted recovery, it never lasted long and each time left me more broken and defeated …
Out of sheer desperation I began to cry out to God. He drew me in through prayer … Shortly thereafter I accepted Christ and His finished work at the cross. God had already willed a sober life for me, now all I had to do was walk in it. I can’t describe how amazing it is to feel His presence — to know that no matter what, his will is working through me. I couldn’t do it but He can!
Also this past Sunday Pastor Jonah preached from Romans 11:33-36 in our Rooted series. Jonah taught that “for the glory of God alone” means that God has saved us for the purpose of experiencing and sharinghis glory.” And we even heard and tasted examples of this, thanks to the piano skills of Ryan Marsh and the baking prowess of Aberlyn Sweetland-May.
- Watch it in the Rooted – 5 Solas Sermon Series channel on your Sojourn Community Church library tab in Rightnow Media. There, you’ll also be able to read Jonah’s sermon manuscript, see a few discussion questions, and read the liturgy. (get your free account, and watch this short tutorial video!
Last week I told you about my toddler’s favorite music — the scripture memory songs of the Rizers, on Rightnow Media. My 14-year old son Connor and I have been going through D.A. Horton’s video series Control from our Youth Studies channel. Teens often struggle with authority: parents, teachers, other institutional authorities and God himself. Control gets to the heart of all that. Besides the four 20-minute video sessions, it includes a free handout of discussion questions.
This Week’s Giving Report
When someone gives money to God’s church, they are making a profoundly spiritual decision. The members of Sojourn long to see God’s Kingdom come on Earth as it is in Heaven. That happens, in part, when someone freely gives something valuable to God – something that’s tough to let go of. We give tithes and offerings when we see who the Lord is, and surrender to His will for our lives.
Here are this week’s tithes and offering totals for all Sojourn churches in the Louisville area:
- East: $32,451
- Midtown: $30,204
- J-Town: $16,032
- New Albany: $17,247 (Weekly target: $14,800)
- New Albany 6-week average: $13,892
Events & Opportunities
- Women’s Christmas Gift Exchange, Dec 2, 10am-12:30pm. Invite a friend and join us for a brunch, a gift exchange and a focus on Jesus, the greatest gift of all. Bring 6 unwrapped gifts for the gift exchange. Your 6 gift items should be all the same type, but may be different colors, sizes, etc. You may make, bake or purchase these items (recommended range of $1-$5 value per gift). Also bring a box of saltines to donate to Slate Run Elementary and a $5 cash donation for a scholarship to be awarded to a NAHS senior girl during awards night. Register here by Nov 30.
- Christmas Date Night, December 2, 5-7pm. Babysitting provided by Sojourn Students. $10 per child recommended donation. All proceeds benefit Sojourn Students summer camp fund. Register here.
- Member Meeting, December 6, 6:30-7:30pm. Members and members-in-process, join us for our final member meeting of 2017. Childcare available for ages 3 and under. Older children welcome in the auditorium.
- Christmas Caroling, December 13, 6:30-8pm. We’ll gather briefly in our parking lot, then disperse into small groups with song sheets so we can sing three traditional carols to neighbors. We’ll meet back up in our auditorium for hot cocoa and A Charlie Brown Christmas.
- Children’s Choir & Cocoa, Dec 17, 9 & 11am. A choir of our own SojournKids will sing carols with us in this annual Sunday gathering.
- Christmas Eve, 11am and 11pm. Invite friends, family, neighbors and coworkers to gather with us for this traditional Christmas service for all ages. Note that we will NOT meet at 9am on Sunday, Christmas Eve.
- Epiphany Feast, Jan 7, 12:30pm. Bring a crockpot of chili and let’s feast together after the 11am service as we celebrate the miracle of Epiphany (God appearing to us, in the person of Jesus).
- Women’s School: Seeing God In Our Stories, 6:30-8:30pm Mondays for 5 weeks, beginning January 8. More details and link to register here. Register by Dec 31.
- New to Christ? Been a believer for awhile, but haven’t been baptized? If you want to be baptized, you can fill out this little form!
- Membership Class, 11am-12:15pm Sunday Jan 14,21,28. Whether you’re just curious about membership or you want to become a member, register here. We’ll meet in the Classroom during the 11am service for these three short sessions (the Classroom is located right across from the auditorium).