Weekly Update, September 18-25
Hi friends. I’ll be on vacation through September 25 so this week’s eNewsletter is coming to you a couple days early. Even though we’re looking forward to this trip, it’s hard to pull myself away from so many great things that are happening, like this Thursday’s second class of Men’s School Of Spiritual Formation. And this Tuesday 7-8am we launch the Morning Brew Crew with donuts, coffee, and conversation about the working life.
Meanwhile, God has given his church unique gifts SO THAT they might serve. All forms of service have one act in common: putting the interests of others over our own. Even Jesus modeled this, not only in grand ways but humble ways like washing feet.
For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. – Mark 10:45
We get the chance to humbly serve in many ways, one of which is our Sunday Connect teams. If you’re not already serving on a Sunday team, would you consider serving in Connect at either the 9am or 11am for the Oct-Dec quarter?
You’ll make friends, welcome guests and members, share coffee, and help everyone feel at home. Message me here on The City and let me know if you’re in!
This past Sunday Pastor Jonah preached from 1 Samuel 18-19 in our Life Of David series. Jonah taught that God’s plans never fail. And we see this most clearly in Jesus, our perfect friend who gives all of himself for us.
- Watch it in the Life Of David Sermon Series channel on your Sojourn Community Church library tab in Rightnow Media. There, you’ll also be able to read Jonah’s sermon manuscript, see a few discussion questions, and read the liturgy. (get your free account, and watch this short tutorial video!
For those of you who picked out our “angel tree” gifts for Sojourn’s long-term missionaries, please remember to bring your gift back to the Coffee Room anytime between this coming Sunday and October 8. You can leave them in the same bookshelf where you originally picked out the name of your missionary.
This Week’s Giving Report
Since I’m on vacation this week, I don’t yet have our giving numbers. Next week I’ll share two week’s worth of numbers with you!
Events & Opportunities
- New to Christ? Been a believer for awhile, but haven’t been baptized? If you want to be baptized, you can fill out this little form!
- Morning Brew Crew, September 19, 7-8am Engineer? Salesperson? Butcher, baker, candlestick maker? No matter your occupation, join us for coffee, donuts, and conversation about the working life. We’ll have giveaways and more in this fall launch of our monthly series.
- Dinner With Missionaries, October 4, 6:30pm – Come enjoy a free dinner with Sojourn missionaries Blaine and Josie as they share how God has opened doors for them to spread the gospel in Africa. Kids welcome. Register here.
- All Together Sunday, October 8 at 9 & 11am. All SojournKids classes will be closed so we can worship together as a complete family. Let’s “do life” together in this special service tailored for the young, old, and in-between.
- Ladies, get ready for our Women’s Night of Worship Friday, October 20 at 6:30pm. Bring a Bible and a journal!
- Our Women’s School of Spiritual Formation:Seeing God In Our Stories will begin Monday October 23 and run for six weeks from 6:30pm to 8:00. Deadline to register is Oct 15. Registration/info here.
- Trunk Or Treat is Sunday, October 22, 5-7pm! Community Groups and individuals, bring a vehicle, decorate it, fill it with candy as we welcome over 1000 children and parents.
- Our fall membership class is Saturday, Oct 28, 9am-12:30pm. Free breakfast and lunch. Free childcare for children 5 & under. Register here!
- Dedicate your new child to God in our November 5 Child Dedication. If you’ve never taken our child dedication class, this is a prerequisite — attend 11am October 29. More info and registration here.
- Sojourn’s Mercy Ministry is assembling the Community Mercy Team. The most significant way we make our community a more beautiful place is through relationships with our neighbors. The Community Mercy team is committed to the beauty of our city through caring for the struggling and the hurting around us. We will seek to create these relationships during community events and Mercy projects. If you are interested in joining this team contact Daniel Staton on The City or at email@example.com.