Weekly Newsletter, Jan 9-16, 2018
Jesus is the greatest storyteller of all, and his stories help us understand:
- what life is all about
- what God is like
- how we can thrive in his kingdom, now and in eternity.
This coming Sunday we begin a brand new sermon series: the Parables Of Jesus. We’re beginning with one of the most famous of all: The Good Samaritan. Join us, and bring a friend!
We’ll also continue with the second week of our new Sunday evening Bible study at 6:30pm in the Classroom (no childcare available, although students in grades 6-12 can participate in S2 during that time). No need to register.
Then next Tuesday the 16th I’m excited to hear featured speaker Dr. Heather Lewis at Morning Brew Crew. So many good things are coming up – check the Events & Opportunities section of this eNewsletter.
This past Sunday Pastor Jonah taught our Epiphany Sunday sermon from Matthew 2. He said that Christianity is all about our savior king leading us into a life of enjoying God.
- Watch it in the Mothers Of Jesus Sermon Series channel on your Sojourn Community Church library tab in Rightnow Media. There, you’ll also be able to read Sam’s sermon manuscript, see a few discussion questions, and read the liturgy. (get your free account, and watch this short tutorial video!
And you may have noticed Police Officer Wooten patroling around the building this past Sunday. This will be a regular thing on Sundays. It’s nothing to be alarmed about – just one of the ways we want to ensure that you and your family will be safe when you worship with us.
WEEKLY GIVING UPDATE
One out of every four Americans will have to take six months to pay off their Christmas debt, according to a new poll. It’s a tough way to begin a new year, especially if you’ve got lots of other debt.
God’s will for our lives is that we be generous, but it is also that we be free from worrying about falling into poverty or living under oppressive debt. Learn from our short Eliminating Debt video study, as well as our Creating A Spending Plan video study in our Finances channel on Rightnow Media.
Here are this week’s tithes and offering totals for all Sojourn churches in the Louisville area:
- East: $22,634
- Midtown: $33,847
- J-Town: $11,939
- New Albany: $13,679 (Weekly target: $14,800)
- New Albany 6-week average: $16,673
Events & Opportunities
- Recently Melissa Fry of the Homeless Coalition of Southern Indiana spoke to our members about volunteering in the White Flag program this winter. As little as 2.5 hours of your time each month can help our neighbors stay safe and warm on cold nights. Volunteer as an individual, a team of 3, or a team of 9. Sign up/get more info here.
- Join our new missions’ advocacy team for our family in France. This team, led by Brian and Tera Laffin, will stay in touch with our missionaries, and help them feel loved and cared for. You will also help us here at Sojourn New Albany to celebrate what God is doing in and through them, and to know how we can all continue to support and pray for them.
- Sunday Evening Bible Study, this Sunday, 6-7:30pm in the Classroom. Every Sunday evening we will dissect a passage of scripture and talk about how it builds us up in one of our five “identities” as the church: Family, Servants, Disciples, Worshipers, or Witnesses. The class is discussion based and will have a new discussion leader each week. No childcare, but this runs concurrently with our Sunday evening S2 Students event for students 6-12th grade.
- Perspectives class, Tuesdays Beginning January 9. Sojourn is hosting this 15-week inter-church class that has equipped thousands with greater vision, hope and passion. Scripture, history, culture and strategy converge to reveal God’s redemptive purposes. Cost: $250 certificate, $500 credit. Info/register: perspectives.org
- Membership Class, 11am-12:15pm Sunday Jan 14,21,28. Whether you’re just curious about membership or you want to become a member, register here. We’ll meet in the Classroom during the 11am service for these three short sessions (the Classroom is located right across from the auditorium).
- Morning Brew Crew, 7-8am Tuesday, Jan 16. Coffee, pastries, and conversation about the working life. This month’s speaker is Dr. Heather Lewis of OB/GYN Associates of Southern Indiana.
- New to Christ? Been a believer for awhile, but haven’t been baptized? If you want to be baptized, you can fill out this little form!
- Are you looking for a unique way to serve our church?Rather than spending ministry dollars on hiring a full-time receptionist for the Sojourn Central Office (which services all four Sojourn congregations), we are looking to put together a team of volunteers willing to serve in 1-3 hour blocks throughout the week. The primary tasks would be answering phone calls, buzzing people in the building, scanning & filing paperwork plus some other general clerical tasks if you are able. The office is at 1303 South Shelby Street, Louisville, and is open Monday–Friday from 9am-4pm. The days and time you work would be completely flexible for your schedule. To get more details or to serve, email Chelsi Allison at: firstname.lastname@example.org