Sojourn Church Midtown Family,
As guidelines for houses of worship during the COVID-19 pandemic are beginning to change, we wanted to give you a quick update about our plans for re-entry into in-person gatherings and how we will be adhering to CDC and state guidelines. While this is a brief summary, we would ask that you click here for a more detailed letter from our pastors that goes into greater detail about the complicated issues at play and the biblical/theological motivations behind this plan.
Regathering: Phase I (June & July 2020)
- COMMUNITY GROUPS: Because Governor Andy Beshear has given freedom for groups of ten or less to gather socially starting on May 25, we have given community groups the freedom to start meeting as men or women every other week starting in June. Feel free to contact Pastor Josh Rothschild (email@example.com) for more information about the specifics of this plan.
- SUNDAY SERVICES: Starting on Sunday, July 5, our plan for Sunday services will transition from Online Only to Online + 100 person gatherings in our church building. These Sunday services will take place at 9 am and 11 am and will not include Sojourn Kids or any form of childcare. Those who attend on Sunday will be asked to register and read the guidelines provided below. If you are not able or ready to start gathering in person, we respect your decision and want to encourage you to keep gathering with us online and possibly in your community group.
Sunday Service Guidelines
- We will start with a 9 am and 11 am service each Sunday. Our online registration limit will be one hundred (100) people per service, including children. This is around 20 percent of our seating capacity. We ask that you attend in person no more than every other week to make room for as many as people to attend who are ready and desire to join us in person. If a service time fills us, you can still register on the waitlist. We'll let you know if more seats open up and it helps us know if we need to add another service time.
- If you are in a higher-risk category, please stay home and worship with us online.
- Likewise, If anyone in your family feels sick or is symptomatic in any way, please stay home and worship with us online.
- There will be no Sojourn Kids classes or childcare available during Sunday services at this time. If you feel comfortable, we would welcome you to bring your children and sit with them during the service. Another option is for spouses to attend every other week while the other spouse watches with the kids online.
- Please enter through the side glass doors and not the front red doors of our church building. Do not try to enter the building more than ten minutes before the start of each service. This will allow us to clean and be ready to provide a safe environment.
- Please maintain six feet of social distance between family units at all times when inside the building and keep your kids close.
- We are requiring that those who plan on attending in person wear a mask at all times while in the building. Masks will be available at the front door if you do not have one or forget to bring one.
- Seating will be available every other row to ensure households are six feet apart. Households (families and roommates) can sit together but there must be four chairs—the equivalent of six feet between households or persons in each row.
- We will not be providing coffee or bulletins. Volunteers who will be wearing gloves will place single service communion cups below each chair. Communion will not be taken as has been our tradition—by lining up and going to the front or back—but by partaking in the juice and bread at your seat.
- Restrooms can only be used by one person at a time. For this reason, we would ask you to use the bathroom before you come. For those who need to use the restroom, a volunteer will let each person into the restroom and then spray down the facilities with disinfectant after each use.
- We would encourage you to give your offering online at sojournchurch.com/givemidtown. If you are unable to do so, you can place your offering in the stationary giving buckets on your way in or out of the auditorium. Giving buckets will not be passed down the rows.
- We will dismiss by rows after the service to maintain social distancing, and we will ask you to exit out of the front red doors and not to congregate inside or outside the church. Special accommodations will be made for any person needing access to ramps or the elevator for exit and entry.
- Our church building will be cleaned every week by a professional cleaning company that will be adhering to the CDC guidelines for cleaning and disinfectants.
- Each week, every chair in the auditorium will be disinfected using a fogger/mister and an EPA approved disinfectant for use against the coronavirus.
- We will provide at least ten labeled hand sanitizer stations on the first floor.
- We will sanitize highly touched surfaces before and after every service such as doors, handles, tables, water fountains, and bathrooms. This will also happen during our regular weekly cleaning of the building.
How to Register
Click on one of the links below to register for an upcoming in-person Sunday service. At this time, we are only allowing for registration through July 2020.
This is a season of great anxiety for many in our workplaces, schools, and throughout our city. Yet we can find peace in the comfort of God’s steadfast presence and careful attention to all that is happening. Please join us in praying for those who are in isolation right now, those affected by the virus, as well as the healthcare professionals who are on the front lines working to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on our community. May we be the hands and feet of Jesus to serve the hurting and a voice of comfort to a world in distress as we are walking through this difficult season.
Your Sojourn Midtown Pastors