SojournKids July 12, 2020
Jesus Turns Water into Wine
This week at Sojourn Kids we're going chronologically through the Bible and our lesson will be from John 2 when Jesus turns water into wine.
The coloring sheets, activity pages, and the story for the lesson that you children would have done this Sunday in SojournKids along with some age appropriate tips are below. If you have any questions about the material, feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or our Kids Coordinator, Crissy Smith, at email@example.com.
Water into Wine Lesson Plan
Here are some helpful tips for teaching this to your kids:
2's and 3's:
- Retell the story in your own words, acting out key parts with your child's stuffed animals (dancing at the wedding, empty cups/being thirsty, celebrating the miracle).
- Pray before/after your meals this week to thank God for continuously providing food for your family.
- Color this week's coloring sheet with your child and talk about the story together.
4's, K, 1st:
- Have each child take "parts" of the story and act it out together as a family.
- Write the Main Point on an index card and post in a central location: Jesus Meets Our Greatest Needs. When you see the index card, pause and pray for your needs and those of your neighbors.
- Have them retell the story to you, look up the scripture in the Bible and take turns reading sections.
- Ask deeper questions like "how is the miracle of turning water into wine a symbol of Jesus' love for us?".
- What needs in your family and neighborhood can be prayed over and given to God? Create a prayer journal to write down those needs and see how God answers them.
General teaching tips:
- Get on their level. Sit together at the kitchen table or together on the floor so you can look in their eyes.
- Make it comfortable. Grab a snack. Curl up on the couch. Do it in your pajamas.
- Don't feel the need to read the lesson word for word or to even finish.
- Show them your Bible. Show them the words inside and how the Bible is organized into books. Remind them that every word is true and we can trust what it says.
- Be excited to share the love of Jesus. Children will rise to your level of excitement.
At the end of the lesson plan is a time to pray. I encourage you to pray for those who are severely affected by the virus, for our government and civic leaders as they make decisions about our city, state, and country, and for peace and unity for our church family during these trying times.
Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or if you need anything.
Pastor of Families
Sojourn Church New Albany
502 635 7053 Office
2023 Ekin Avenue
New Albany, IN 47150